Ingredients (use vegan versions):
* 1 lb firm Tofu, cut into strips shaped like bacon
* 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
* 2 tablespoons tamari/shoyu
* 1 teaspoon Wright's (or other brand) liquid smoke.
* 1 tablespoon oil (something neutral, not olive or sesame)
Fry tofu strips on low or medium heat until they are crispy on the
outside. The best way to do this is to lay them in the pan in the oil
and let them sit for at least 10 minutes, simmering. They should turn
easily after that. Turn them and give them another 10 minutes on the
Mix the tamari/shoyu soy sauce with the liquid smoke first, then take
the pan off the heat. Pour the liquid smoke/tamari into the pan and
stir the tofu so all sides are coated, then sprinkle the yeast over
all, stir some more, over the heat, until the liquid is gone and the
tofu is covered with sticky yeast.
Try it. It tastes EXACTLY like bacon.
Another variation is to marinate the tofu in the tamari/liquid smoke
mixture for several hours and then fry, but it misses a little bit
without the nutritional yeast