Ingredients (use vegan versions):
* 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar (or 3tbsp oriental sesame oil
* (or white vin +2 teaspoon vegan sugar) I used 2 tablespoon spicy
and 1 tablespoon olive)
* 1Tbsp soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon vegan sugar
* 1 pkg. firm or extra firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes
* (gently squeeze out excess water before cubing)
* 12 oz penne pasta (dried)
* 2 cup Chinese pea pods (I used 1 bag frozen
* stir fry veggies with vegan sugar snap peas....(this is Alaska,
* is fresh
* 2 cloves garlic minced (I used much more)
* 1/2 cup plum jam
* Extra full 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
* 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/3 cilantro leaves (I omitted these)
* 1/4 cup sliced green onions
* cilantro sprigs
* crushed red pepper flakes
1) In a medium bowl mix vinegar, 1Tbsp of the oil, soy & vegan sugar.
2) Put some oil (I used spicy) into a skillet and fry the tofu. This
doesn't take a lot of oil. maybe a couple of tablespoons. The tofu will
absorb the oil and turn a soft golden color. Don't over cook. Bear in
mind that you can't under cook it as it is edible right from the box...
bland and tasteless but edible. Remove from fire and mix in with
mixture from #1. Gently mix it in and allow to marinate. Stir
3)Start a pot to boil with water to cook penne. While water heats get
together ingredients for sauce.
4) When Water boils, add penne and cook over med high heat for about
7-9 minutes until pasta is ALMOST tender to bite. Add pea pods or stir
fry veggies & cook for 1 more minute. Drain.
5) Remove tofu from marinade and reserve the extra for use in the sauce.
6) In the tofu skillet, Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil over medium heat.
Toss in garlic and stir cooking JUST until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add jam, peanut butter, excess marinade from tofu and ginger. Cook just
until sauce is smooth and well blended.
7)Remove from heat and add pasta mixture, cilantro leaves and green
onions. Mix gently but thoroughly. Mix in tofu. Garnish with cilantro
sprigs. Season to taste with red pepper.
This was surprisingly easy and quick....ENJOY!! Gresha and David
Serves: 4 easy
Preparation time: 20 min